Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Mom and Dad Were Right
Students with ADD - your parents were right: procrastinating and finishing in the nick of time doesn't always cut it at college.
by Christine Brady

By nature, I'm a loyal and trustworthy person. However, you can't trust me to be on time any more than you'd trust me to handle sub-atomic particles. Recently, I learned the hard way not to commit to deadlines I can't keep (and, incidentally, to avoid helping a friend with her work before I have finished my own... ).

As a student with attention deficit disorder (ADD ADHD), I frequently run into something I call "fake ambition" - or maybe it runs into me. In class, I make plans to type up my notes, read ahead, help someone study - in other words, be a complete nerd for a given amount of time
Then when I get back to my room, actually doing all the work I have assigned myself just... isn't... appealing. That's fake ambition. I lose the urge to do work the second I get comfortable. Therefore, I suggest going to the most uncomfortable place you can find when you're working under a deadline. If you're sitting on a hard chair in the library at seven in the morning, relaxation isn't an option and you can stay focused.

Read the rest of the article here.

No comments: