Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Accumulating sleep debt

A kingdom, a kingdom, my kingdom for a good night’s sleep.

I wish I could blame my lack of sleep on the whole Daylight Savings Time from the weekend, which many neurologists note causes drowsiness days after the fact. Alas, that is not the cause. And no, I am not losing sleep due to late night video game playing, Facebook messaging or any other technological advancements which seem to rob many unwittingly of sleep (studies have shown not only are texting and Web surfing stimulating, but the artificial light from screens and cell phones suppresses the release of the hormone melatonin, which induces sleep). And I cannot confess to being an overworked professional either, as once I leave the confines of this office I leave behind (on most days) unfinished work to be hurriedly completed before deadline the next day.

Alas, my lack of sleep is stemming from the joy of being the proud parent of a 2-year-old. I know, I know, with the world seemingly crumbling around us, and so much political upheaval, I am taking this space to talk about my homelife. But I ask for your forgiveness, as I am functioning off of four hours sleep.

Last week was Sleep Awareness Week, one of the many awareness weeks or months we are seemingly inundated with to highlight or lack of conversational knowledge about a given topic. But lack of sleep is one topic we all are well versed on, be it the sleepy teenager falling asleep in first period, the young professional putting in long hours at the office in hopes of someone higher up taking notice, the parent whose days are so filled with kids’ activities there is but a fleeting moment to relax before heading to the bed for slumber.

Read the rest of the article here.

No comments: