Sunday, May 08, 2011

New Texas State Bill on Pediatric Concussion

Local Father Supports Concussion Bill

HOUSTON - Texas is one step closer to major changes when it comes to the way schools treat athletes who suffer a concussion. Lawmakers in the Texas House have passed legislation and now it's on to the Senate.
The proposal breaks down, step by step, how a student with a concussion should be treated. It emphasizes education and prevention.

"I dove back to second base and my helmet hit the person cover second base's knee," described 14-year-old Gabrielle Nieto. "I felt pain but I also don't remember anything about getting hit."
The softball player had just suffered her second concussion in less than a month. Like many devoted athletes, Nieto was eager to return to play so she wasn't exactly truthful with her doctor.
"I told him I didn't have any headaches, symptoms for one whole week so I could go back and play."


Read more: http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/news/local/110505-local-father-supports-concussion-bill#ixzz1Lp35Nqcr

No comments: