Monday, February 28, 2011

My son's epilepsy changed our lives - mother
A MOTHER from Cheltenham has spoken out about the tough reality of bringing up a child with epilepsy.


Gemma Watkins, from Montreal Drive, was at home going about her daily chores when her son Taylor began convulsing on the floor. It was the first in a series of seizures, which confirmed the seven-year-old had generalised epilepsy.

Gemma said although life will never be the same again, the family has rallied round to help Taylor get back to some form of normality. Now she has vowed to do all she can to raise awareness about a condition she feels is under-publicised and underfunded. "When Taylor had his first seizure it was pretty frightening," she said. "We didn't know what was going on. We thought he had choked on something.

Read the rest of the article here.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I had my 1st seisure in from of both of my children. They were 5 and 1 @ the time. I was moving boxes around in the bedroom @ the time & all of a sudden fell to the floor.
My 5 yr old knew exactly what to do. She called 911. My husband had just stepped out for a moment & came back to an ambulance & fire truck in our drive way. I couldn't imagine what thoughts could have been running through his mine.
We were so proud of our daughter.
8 yrs have passed & I still have seizures. NOT as many as I had when they 1st started. As long as I keep taking my medication Im okay. I don't like that I am still unable to drive. One day.
I have educated so many of our friends about epilepsy. I was shocked with the number of people that didn't know much. I'm mankig an effort of educating more people.