Saturday, August 24, 2013

Dogs can tell when an epileptic person is having seizures

This article discusses how one man's dogs help him get through episodes of seizures.

THEY say a dog is a man’s best friend — but for epilepsy sufferer Peter Hunter, they are a life-line.
Mr Hunter’s four beloved dogs Buster, Lucky, Jet and Sam are like any other pooches.
They love being taken out for walks and having treats, but they also play a more vital role in their owner’s life.
Mr Hunter, of Slaidburn Avenue, Breightmet, has had severe epilepsy all his life and can have up to 20 fits a week.
His dogs are not specially trained to detect his illness but the 49-year-old said they intuitively know when he is having a fit.
Buster, a Collie-Staffordshire Bull Terrier cross and Jet, a Labrador-Staffordshire Bull Terrier Cross, play particularly important roles.
When Mr Hunter falls down when he has a fit, Buster paws at his side and Jet licks his face until he regains consciousness.
The former security guard said: “I have had them for 10 years and they just seemed to have picked it up.
“On a bad day I can have eight fits in an afternoon and they can last for five minutes. Normally I just come out of it but it is exhausting for me.
“Buster paws at my side and Jet licks my face and it really helps.
“I don’t know what I would do without them. Everyone loves the dogs too and they can’t believe how friendly they are. They are gobsmacked when I tell them what they can do.”
Read more here

No comments: